Business

3 life insurance mistakes you can easily avoid

It may be time to give your life insurance coverage a checkup.

Mistakes that financial advisors see clients make with life insurance was a common theme at the FPA Be conference in Baltimore this week.

“Insurance planning really shouldn’t get started until there’s been some financial planning,” certified financial planner John Ryan told attendees at a Thursday seminar on insurance mistakes.

Here are three missteps that can be easily avoided or fixed:

1. Not having enough insurance

Among parents with young kids, 37 percent don’t have life insurance, according to a 2015 Bankrate report. Of those who do have insurance, half have less than $100,000 in coverage.

Not having enough insurance is a common misstep, said Ryan, who is an independent insurance broker and the founder of Ryan Insurance Strategy Consultants in Greenwood Village, Colorado. But it’s an easy one to fix, and can be inexpensive thanks to low term policy rates.

Conduct a thorough analysis of your life insurance needs to make sure you have enough to cover funeral expenses and replace your income for the family, as well as cover debts like the mortgage.

“With the [term] rates today, there’s really no reason not to round up,” he said.

2. Not reviewing your medical records

It’s smart for consumers to request a copy of their medical record from their primary care physician before applying for life insurance, certified financial planner Carolyn McClanahan told attendees during a Thursday session on health planning. McClanahan, a physician, is also the director of financial planning for Life Planning Partners in Jacksonville, Florida.

Insurers will get those records, too, and use your medical history to gauge risk and determine rates, she said. There may be potentially costly mistakes in the record that should be fixed. (McClanahan said she recently found such an error on her records, ahead of applying for a new policy.)

3. Focusing on avoiding estate taxes

Having someone else (say, a spouse) own the life insurance policy on you can be smart estate planning. Because you don’t own the policy, it won’t be included in your estate when you die.

But so-called “three-corner life insurance” where the owner, insured and beneficiary are all different (say, one spouse owns the policy on the other and names the kids as beneficiaries) should be avoided, attorney Lawrence Brody told attendees during a Thursday session on insurance planning mistakes. Brody is a partner at Bryan Cave in St. Louis, Mo., specializing in estate planning.

That three-corner configuration has the effect of turning the policy proceeds into a gift from the policy owner to the beneficiary, he said. Any amount over the annual $14,000 annual gift tax exclusion would be considered a taxable gift to the owner, reducing his or her annual lifetime exclusion.

Source: CNBC

Connect Free Dating Sugar Mummy

Please Enter Your Active Email to Get Instant Reports

18 Comments

18 Comments

1. Hemaha

May 2, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Hello

2. Dak

May 2, 2019 at 7:16 pm

My name is yosef i live in ethiopia ** years old

3. Tilidongo

May 3, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Thanks

4. Saheer

May 4, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Nashinaty Nigeria state Kaduna local government sabon. Gari

5. Pablo

May 5, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Many sugar mummies are best in love afair

6. Gershom chipako

May 7, 2019 at 12:41 am

Yes everything I want you dear now you are not showing series

7. Isaac Frimpong

May 13, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Hello dear friend I am Isaac from Ghana please I need a serious relationship with a woman who is seriously prepared for marriage proposal please help me to get my heart desire to be a serious wife please call me on my cell phone ************
    What Sapp number+************

8. harisu

May 15, 2019 at 11:25 pm

my name is Harisu hw can i get your number please please

• Nadeem khan

May 29, 2019 at 10:27 am

Hi

9. Melvin

May 17, 2019 at 1:29 am

I&#****;m Melvin here for NSA leave a message an number girl n need of a real sugar mommy or girl I aim to please I&#****;m available for u longs u can donate$$,.

10. John balogun

May 17, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Firstly l will ***ment on the sugar mummy how was trying to steal from a super store though it very bad but lf l happened to be her sugar man l will correct her in love. Secondly Lt my ***ment on the sugar mummy who has gone mad all l k.ow is to try and blend with her showing her much care and love and to try to get medical attention lf necessary. So all what the two sugar mummy in this potrate need is love.l love the them of each post they are fantastic.

11. Patrick Corby

May 21, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Hello gorgeous I wish I could talk to you, I just wanted to tell you that your a absolute Doll! I would Love to know you better *-***-***-**** text message me or call me Anytime Love! I do believe I need a calling card. I will get in touch with you Love! XOXO

12. Darwin

May 29, 2019 at 6:42 am

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren&#****;t loading correctly. I&#****;m
    not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I&#****;ve tried it in two different browsers and both
    show the same out***e. http://Islamicrenaissance.Co.**/the-muslim-narrative-*/

13. Ozemhoya Leonard

May 29, 2019 at 6:48 am

Sweetlove good morning, I love to be your babe, I am calm and loyal, and I have a very big **** and I ll make you OK with so much love *** is very important and sucking your Pussy is very important too mummy my love, I can&#****;t wait to be with you mummy, but not that I am a very emotional person, we need to now our self better, please WhatsApp me or call me on +*************
    Plus&#****;s two three four eight zero nine three zero nine three three seven nine. &#****;.you ll love to marry I now and I am very sure
    Faithfully Leo

• MOhamadzen

May 29, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Honesty and beyond the dedire of love and happiness
      Reach me hete at wasap +************

14. Ola