Business

3 student loan mistakes to avoid

Many college students in this country know almost nothing about student debt — and their lack of knowledge can have a devastating effect on their financial future.

Seven in 10 seniors owe nearly $30,000 when they graduate from college. Yet a startling 42.5 percent of current students wrongly believe student-loan debt is not a factor in determining their credit score and overall creditworthiness, according to a recent survey by the student-loan marketplace LendEDU.

Not understanding how the system works can have a lasting negative impact on borrowers — students and parents.

Be sure to avoid these mistakes when it comes time to apply for a loan:

1. Failing to fill out the FAFSA

If you’re applying for need-based aid for college, students and parents should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA. The federal government gives over $150 billion each year in need-based aid, but you won’t get a penny unless you fill out this form.

When it comes to getting money, be the early bird.

“Students who file earlier on average get more grants,” said financial aid expert Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Cappex.com, a scholarship website.

Don’t wait around for admissions letters. Financial aid deadlines fall between January and March, so fill out your FAFSA right after Jan. 1. Also, there’s a big change coming, and soon you’ll be able to apply even earlier. Tax information from two years prior may be used to file an “early FAFSA” on Oct. 1, 2016, for the 2017-18 school year.

State-based and college aid can have early deadlines, too, so know when to file those forms as well.

2. Not looking for aid…everywhere

Be proactive. The more free money you find, the less you’ll have to borrow. You can find scholarships from local, state and national organizations. Search online using websites including Scholarships.com, Fastweb.com and Cappex.com that match your personal background with specific eligibility criteria.

Do this every year because you may able to pick up new scholarships along the way. “Scholarships are not just for high school seniors, you can even get some after enrolling in college,” said Kantrowitz.

3. Waiting to figure out how to repay

If you take out loans, start making payments while in school if you can.

“Pay the interest on your student loans while in school because on some unsubsidized federal student loans and private student loans, interest accumulates while you are in school.

So if you don’t pay your student loan interest as soon as possible, then the interest will get added to the balance of the loan and new interest will accumulate, compounding the overall amount of the loan,” said Nate Matherson, CEO of LendEDU.com.

Once you’ve graduated, you have a six-month grace period before you have to start paying back student loans. Before that window closes, you should have already visited the U.S. Department of Education’s website at studentloans.gov to understand various repayment options and terms for federal student loans. Evaluate whether interest-driven repayment plans make sense.

These plans may help your cash flow since payments are based on your discretionary income and you pay nothing if you have no income. You may also want to consolidate your federal loans so you have a single monthly payment.

Also, “sign up for auto debit and you’ll get a slight reduction on the interest rate on your loan,” Kantrowitz said. You may also be able to refinance student loans at lower interest rates. Check out online lenders like SoFi.com, Earnest.com and CommonBond.co or go to a student loan refinancing marketplace like Credible.com or LendEdu.com.

Making timely payments will keep you on the right path to paying off your student loan debt.

Source: CNBC

Connect Free Dating Sugar Mummy

Please Enter Your Active Email to Get Instant Reports

11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Samuel ohineme

May 3, 2019 at 3:39 pm

My name is Samuel ohineme I&#****;m interested how do I start

2. Sulungu Ghofwa Dhidha

May 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Hí,Baby a you okey today,wow Hot ass,making me wet sweetheart,good for me to sack,caress an leak,before hard fxck derling missing you,my love have you confirmed sulungu to give you more than what you need or no my love,dhidha real loves you an u?

3. Shamim Ahmed

July 2, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Bank trancfer

4. Shamim Ahmed

July 2, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Bank transfer

5. Mohamad zen hipni

July 3, 2019 at 3:18 am

I love you you can send the money to mohamad zen hipni public bank berhad acct no ********** swift code PBBEMYKL. Thank you

6. gaber ebrahim Mohamed hasan

July 3, 2019 at 11:57 am

Dear my future love and future wife Sweetheart After what I saw your picture and read your profile you are very very beautiful really so I&#****;m ready for you now as a good hasband or as a good lover my love I am here a year ago but today I feel every sorry I ***e up with something that I am embarrassed to show but it is necessary to force me to declare it I am in trouble and I need $ ***** dollars I am very sorry because I say so MY Debit card NATIONAL BANK of Egypt **** **** **** **** my love I wait for you reply now

7. Mehrdad

July 6, 2019 at 3:22 am

Hi +************

8. Olamide Lawson

July 13, 2019 at 3:51 pm

Please try and replay me in time I am olamide Lawson and I&#****;m an electronic engineer, I will be happy to meet with you in person, I am interested for sure but how?

9. Ozemhoya Leonard

July 14, 2019 at 11:45 pm

Good day mamma how do you sure you are doing great.
    Am Leo, I accept you too because I like your beautiful Queen looks and most important I need love just like you ans I am a very emotional person.
    I need a long lasting relationship that can lead to marriage.
    Am tall athletic looks, I am calm slow to anger and a very good listener
    &#****; Plus&#****;s two three four eight zero nine three zero nine three three seven nine..

Please contact me on+*************
    Faithfully Leo.

10. gaber ebrahim Mohamed hasan

July 27, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Dear my future love and future wife Sweetheart I will have a lot of love insaid me for you and I want to be with you all the time so I want to marry and bond with you for life and to sanctify married life and be the most important thing in her life and be the only queen on the throne of my heart and I will put it in my eyes and my heart but on the bed you will be my slave because I am like a raging bull on the bed and I&#****;m ready wait for you in the nearest airrport to the my house is Cairo interntional Airport in my country egypt next week and once you arrive I&#****;m free for you alone now and when it ***es to the my country egypt in short vacation one day we get married immediately and then go with you to any place you want because I do not have visa and I do not have the money to go now and because I love honesty and heat deceit so my real name gaber ebrahim Mohamed hasan from egypt an Egyptian businessman my phone number + ** *********** and my Email alsahmalmntalk@*****.*** and my whattsapp + ** *********** please hurry up my love I need you so much as a good wife supporter me in life as soon as possible sweetheart I wait for you reply now because I love you so much

11. Ram Bahadur Regmi

August 16, 2019 at 1:16 am

Hello my dear I need sugar mummy for love affair.contact me mobile +************* or e-mail rambdrregmi**@*****.*** .Iam looking forward to your positive response.